Don't get me wrong, I hate grammar and all of it's little tricks and rules. However, it is a necessary evil. The whole point of this blog is for me to learn something new every day so I feel that a grammar lesson is appropriate.
I learned today that I have been incorrectly using 'their' to avoid saying "his/her." For example, instead of saying:
A dentist is responsible for the teeth of his/her patients.
---I would say:---
A dentist is responsible for the teeth of their patients.
I'm sure that many people use 'their' to avoid 'his/her' and to still remain politically correct. However, as I was reminded today, 'their' is plural and doesn't make sense because 'dentist' is singular.
The easy solution is to just change the noun to plural:
Dentists are responsible for the teeth of their patients.
Stupid stupid grammar, but a lesson learned.
9/27/07
Ewww Grammar
Labels: grammar
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment